Much of his popular published work is on zoology, biology and evolution. His 2006 work, The God Delusion is concerned primarily with religion, belief and the effects it has had, on society, and why such should be considered anathema to those who value life.
Dawkins is well-known for his outspokenness against religion. He is famous for his opinion that labeling children with the religion of their parents is tantamount to child abuse, and for comparing the spread of religious beliefs to the spread of viruses.
Dawkins coined the term "meme" to describe how ideas (notably, religious belief) are spread and evolve using mechanisms similar to those of biological evolution.
Arguments and coined concepts
- Ultimate 747 gambit questions if God is a good explanation for the apparent design in the natural world.
- "Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence."
- "Faith, being belief that isn't based on evidence, is the principal vice of any religion."
- The Selfish Gene, Oxford University Press, 1976. ISBN 0-19-929115-2
- The Extended Phenotype, Oxford University Press, 1982. ISBN 0-19-288051-9
- The Blind Watchmaker, W. W. Norton & Company, 1986. ISBN 0-393-31570-3
- River Out of Eden, Basic Books, 1995. ISBN 0-465-06990-8
- Climbing Mount Improbable, W. W. Norton & Company, 1996. ISBN 0-393-31682-3
- Unweaving the Rainbow, Houghton Mifflin, 1998. ISBN 0-618-05673-4
- A Devil's Chaplain, Houghton Mifflin, 2003. ISBN 0-618-48539-2
- The Ancestor's Tale, Houghton Mifflin, 2004. ISBN 0-618-61916-X
- The God Delusion, Houghton Mifflin, 2006. ISBN 0-618-68000-4
- The Greatest Show on Earth, Transworld, 2009. ISBN 0-593-06173-X
- The Magic of Reality, 2011. ISBN 978-1-439192818
- Root of all Evil?, 2006
- The Enemies of Reason, 2007
- The Genius of Charles Darwin, 2008
- Faith School Menace?, 2011
- Richard Dawkins' web site
- The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
- Richard Dawkins multimedia archive
- Richard Dawkins' curriculum vitae
- The official channel at YouTube
- The Atheism Tapes (1/3) - Richard Dawkins