A prophecy is a religious prediction, often imparted by a god and recorded in a holy scripture.
Prophecy in the Bible
Prophecy as an argument for God
Theists often claim the fulfillment of prophecies as evidence for the existence of God. Such a claim, if substantiated, would indeed constitute evidence for the existence of something extraordinary, and possibly supernatural. However, a valid prophecy must meet several criteria:
- It must actually be a prophecy. Not a documentation of events that is misinterpreted as a prophecy after a similar event occurs later.
- It must be written before the events that it predicts.
- The predicted events must actually occur.
- It must not be overly vague.
- It must not predict a likely event.
- It must not be self-fulfilling.