A prophecy is a religious prediction, often imparted by a god and recorded in a holy scripture.
Prophecy in the Bible
The Bible contains several books of prophecy.
Prophecy as an argument for God
Theists often claim the fulfillment of prophecies as evidence for the existence of God. Such a claim, if substantiated, would indeed constitute evidence for the existence of something extraordinary, and possibly supernatural. However, a valid prophecy must fulfill meet several criteria:
- It must be written before the events that it predicts.
- The predicted events must actually occur.
- It must not be overly vague.
- It must not predict a likely event.
- It must not be self-fulfilling.