Judaism is the twelfth-largest organized religion. While originating in polytheism, it is one of the first recorded monotheistic faiths and one of the oldest religious traditions still practiced today. It gradually grew out of the Canaanite religion and culture between 1000-5000 BCE, while adopting ideas from surrounding religious such as Egyptian mythology and Zoroastrianism. 
The Jewish faith is centered around the worship of their god, Yahweh, as described in the Jewish Bible. The primary holy text is the Tanakh, refer to as the Hebrew Bible or Old Testament by Christians, of which the first five books making up the Pentateuch or Torah. Jews generally believe that God has chosen the Jewish people as a chosen people and have an eternal covenant.
Jews are largely divided into denominations based on how strongly they follow traditional Jewish law, rather than on theological differences. The main denominations are Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform, in decreasing order of traditionalism.
- "The Bible is very clear that the "children of Israel", the Jews, were the divinely appointed inhabitants of the Land. "
"Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are - northward, southward, eastward, and westward; for all the land which you see, I give to you and your seed for ever."
"Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates"
This claim encompasses north east Egypt, Sinai, modern Israel, modern Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, western Iraq and northern Saudi Arabia (see also Exodus 23:31 ). The Bible says that existing tribes that occupied the lands were to be driven out. Deuteronomy 20:17 
After Joshua captured Canaan, he divided the territory into parcels Numbers 34:1-12 . This is now regarded as "the holy land" by Jews but the overall area is different and contradictory to that specified in Genesis 15:18 . It comprises modern Israel, modern Palestine and Lebanon. Apologists claim that these prophecies will eventually be fulfilled or have some other explanation.  Ezekiel contains the prophecy of the territory occupied in the end times, which is broadly similar to that specified in Numbers Ezekiel 47:13-20 .
Christianity as an offshoot religion
Jesus was a Jew and considered himself to be a reformer of Judaism, although Jesus is considered a heretic by mainstream Jews. Inspired by Jesus, Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism that originated in the first century CE.
Some Jews in fringe sects are taught some very strange things:
- "Before I learned anything else, I learned the Holocaust had happened because Jews were bad and that the way we lived was different from the rest of the world because if we didn’t, the Holocaust would happen to us again. [...] I grew up believing we were genetically inferior. They didn’t see that as a bad thing – they’d sit me down and explain: “We’re special to God. Our souls are special, but our genes are inferior, just like they said about us.” How do you even begin to unstitch that? "
Beliefs and practices
- Worship of God
- Ten commandments
- Resurrection of the dead
- The Jews are a chosen people that have an eternal covenant with God.
- Judaism at a glance on BBC Religion & Ethics
- Judaism on Faith in the Holy Land Series on Israel's Youtube channel
- Judaism 101