Islam is the predominant religion in the Middle East and is the second-largest religion in the world. Not limited to the Middle East, it has approximately 1.4 billion members, 80% of which are non-Arabs. It is one of the fastest growing religions in the world. Its adherents are called "Muslims" (also spelled Moslem), historically "Musselman", "Muhammedans", or even simply "Turks" in Europe and North America. In Arabic, a Muslim is "one who submits to God" (Allah).
Muslims, like Jews and Christians, are monotheistic and trace their roots to Abraham. However, they receive their instruction from the Qur'an (also spelled Koran). Islam's beginnings can be traced back to the 7th century under the leadership of Muhammad and his followers. Islam is largely based on pre-existing Arabian paganism, Jewish, Christian and Zoroastrian influences.   The vast majority of Muslims also consider haddith literature, the traditional teachings and sayings of Muhammad, as secondary religious scripture.
An universalizing (evangelizing) religion, it spread throughout the world by military conquest and Muslim missionaries. The moral and legal code of Islam is called Sharia law, which has received widespread criticism for its anachronistic and unjust laws and barbaric punishments.
Five pillars of Islam
There are five principles that are generally considered mandatory practices by Muslims:
- This is only one god Allah, Muhammad is his (greatest and final) messenger/prophet
- Prayer five times a day
- Tithing, including 2.5% of capital assets
- Fasting and holiness during the holy month of Ramadan
- Pilgrimage to Mecca at least once, if possible
- Wahhabi, an extremist variant of Sunni Islam.
- Quranism, rejects the authority of hadith.
Other movements within Islam:
Islamic fundamentalism is fairly strong in middle-eastern regions, one result being the oppression of women. Spurred by, though unlikely exclusively due to, inflammatory passages of the Qu'ran, there have been instances of terrorism in the name of Islam, including suicide bombings, beheadings and public stonings.
Moderate Muslims are more prevalent in Europe, but despite this there are still extremists in Europe who a large part of the time push to silence criticism of their religion and of Muhammed rather than addressing the criticisms.
Islam is often called a "religion of peace" but the Qur'an contains many violent quotations.
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ http://nazret.com/blog/index.php?title=islamists_stone_to_death_somali_woman_fo&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
- ↑ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27484976/
- ↑ Just a few of many violent quotes from the Qur'an
- Islam on Faith in the Holy Land Series on Israel's Youtube channel
- The myth of Islamophobia
- The religion of fear
- Appeasing Islam
- Islam is not a victim