From Iron Chariots Wiki
- Binding of Isaac (Genesis 22:1-24 ). Although Abraham is commanded by God to sacrifice Isaac at the mountaintop, and is willing to do so, an angel sent by God intervenes at the last moment. There is a corresponding story in Islam, which credits the son as Ismail instead of Isaac.
- Jephthah ritually sacrifices his daughter to God (Judges 11:29-40 ) after vowing to sacrifice the first thing that greets him when he returns from his military victory over the Ammonites.
- After the Israelites violate God's commandments, God commands Joshua to instruct the people in ritual repentance, which includes the destruction by fire of those who violated the covenant. (Joshua 7:15 ) It is ambiguous as to whether this is ritual sacrifice performed by the tribe or whether it is performed directly by God.
- Jeroboam prophecies that Josiah will sacrifice pagan priests who use shrines to God. (1 Kings 13:2 ) Josiah later executes them, and burns their bones. (2 Kings 23:20 )
According to the dogma of substitutionary atonement, Jesus was a human sacrifice on behalf of humanity. It is unclear how guilt can be transferred or a ransom could be paid using such barbaric means.
- Study shows human sacrifice was less likely in more equal societies, The Guardian, 4 April 2016