(+ cat:Social issues)
(+ cat:Psychology -- not that it's very relevant at the moment, but this article could easily be expanded to include psychological aspects (e.g., homophobia))
|Line 18:||Line 18:|
Revision as of 14:54, 13 February 2007
Homosexuality is romantic or sexual attraction to members of one's own gender. The rights of gays, lesbians, and bisexuals is a contentious political issue in much of the world, due in part to religious views on the perceived moral incorrectness of homosexuality. One particularly fierce debate at the time of this writing is the legality of gay marriage.
Many conservative Christians, Jews, Muslims and Sikhs prefer to continue current restrictions against gays, lesbians and bisexuals — including prohibition of same-sex marriage. Some advocate the restoration of laws which once criminalized same-sex behavior. Many oppose the extension of existing hate-crime laws to include sexual orientation.
The Bible on homosexuality
- In Genesis 19, God destroys the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah; some say that widespread practice of homosexuality was the main reason.
- Leviticus 18:22: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
- Leviticus 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."
- Deuteronomy and Kings state that there shall be no sodomites allowed in Israel.
- Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet."
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10: "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
- 1 Timothy 1:9-10: "Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine."