Fred Phelps (November 13, 1929 – March 19, 2014) was the pastor of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas and the proprietor of the websites God Hates Fags and God Hates America. He is well-known for his extremist version of fundamentalist Christianity. He was extremely opposed to homosexuality and attributes most of society's problems (including 9/11, the Indian Ocean tsunami, and the death of American soldiers in Iraq) to tolerance for homosexual behavior. He advocated the death penalty for homosexuals, as commanded in the Bible. He claimed President Barack Obama is the antichrist, and is working with the catholic church and the devil.
- Leviticus 20:13 : "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."
Phelps' congregation largely comprised of his own family members. He generally showed little concern for getting along with anyone outside his congregation, even other Christians. As a result, mainstream Christians tend to write him off as not a true Christian, even if they may agree with his condemnation of homosexuality.
The Westboro Baptist Church frequently attracts media attention for protesting funerals of homosexuals and deceased American soldiers. They celebrate such events as God's justice being enacted on a sinful society, and believe that it is immoral and impious to feel sympathy for the dead and those who mourn for them in these instances.
- Westboro Baptist Church homepage
- Google Video: The Most Hated Family In America - a documentary about Fred Phelps and his family
- Losing my religion: life after extreme belief, Megan Phelps-Roper on leaving the church.
- Megan Phelps-Roper, I grew up in the Westboro Baptist Church. Here's why I left