Denying the antecedent
From Iron Chariots Wiki
Denying the antecedent, sometimes also called inverse error or fallacy of the inverse, is a formal fallacy that involves referring to the inverse from the original statement. It appears like this:
If P, then Q.
Therefore, not Q.
- If it is raining, then the grass is wet.
- It is not raining.
- Therefore, the grass is not wet.
- If Queen Elizabeth is an American citizen, then she is a human being.
- Queen Elizabeth is not an American citizen.
- Therefore, Queen Elizabeth is not a human being.