Dark Dungeons (Chick tract)
Dark Dungeons is a Chick tract whose description is "Debbie thought playing Dungeons and Dragons was fun... until it destroyed her friend."
Some very classic-looking 80's kids play Dungeons & Dragons, and get caught in a crazy alternate universe of Jack Chick's imagination.
A friendly game
- Ms. Frost: "Okay, Wizard, cast your spell!"
- Marcie: "Okay, Dungeon Master. My spell of light blinds the monster."
- Frost: "The thief, Black Leaf, did not find the poison trap, and I declare her dead."
- Marcie: "NO, NOT BLACK LEAF! NO, NO! I'M GOING TO DIE! Please don't make me quit the game! Somebody save me! You can't do this!"
- Frost: "Marcie, get out of here. YOU'RE DEAD! You don't exist any more."
The game turns real!
- Frost: "Debbie, your cleric has been raised to the 8th level. I think it's time that you learn how to really cast spells."
- Debbie: "You mean you're going to teach me how to have the real power?"
- Frost: "Yes, you have the personality for it now."
- Narration: THE INTENSE OCCULT TRAINING THROUGH D&D PREPARED DEBBIE TO ACCEPT THE INVITATION TO ENTER A WITCHES' COVEN.
- Frost: "I've brought Elfstar to become a priestess and a witch."
- Cult member: "Welcome, Elfstar. You're now a priestess of the craft, and of the Temple of Diana."
- Debbie: "Ms. Frost, this is fantastic... This makes the game real... It's not a fantasy anymore. Last night I cast my first spell... This is real power!"
- Frost: "I knew you were ready by the way you played the game... but this is just the beginning. There is so much more."
- Frost: "Which spell did you cast, Debbie?"
- Debbie: "I used the mind bondage spell on my father. He was trying to stop me from playing D&D."
- Frost: "What was the result?"
- Debbie: "He just bought me $200.00 worth of new D&D figures and manuals. It was great!"
Debbie and Marcie
- Later That Week
- Frost: "Hey Debbie! Marcie's on the phone. She wants to talk to you. She's really upset."
- Debbie: "I can't. I'm fighting the Zombie. Tell her I'll see her tonight."
- Debbie: "Hi, Mrs. Anderson. Marcie wanted me to see her tonight."
- Mrs. Anderson: "I'm glad you're here, Debbie. Marcie has shut herself in her room and won't come out. She hasn't been herself for weeks. I've been very worried. Ever since her character in the game got killed, it's as though a part of her died. Maybe you can talk some sense into her."
- Debbie: "Nooooo! No, Marcie, you didn't have to do that!"
- Marcie's suicide note reads: "It's my fault Black Leaf died. I just can't face life alone! Marcie"
- Debbie: "Miss Frost, I can't get Marcie out of my mind. How could she do something like this? If I'd left the game, she'd be alive today."
- Miss Frost: "Get your priorities straight, Debbie. Your spiritual growth through the game is more important than some lousy loser's life."
- Miss Frost: "It would have happened sooner or later. Her character was too weak."
- Debbie: "But the law of our faith is that we can do whatever we want as long as we harm no one. But now we have harmed Marcie."
- Debbie thinks to herself: "What have I gotten myself into?"
- Miss Frost appears to grab Debbie roughly. "Don't be stupid, Debbie. I think you'd better let Elfstar take care of things. You're getting out of control."
- Debbie: "I don't want to be Elfstar any more. I want to be Debbie."
Debbie finds help
- Mike: "Hey Debbie, what's wrong? Can I help?"
- Debbie: "I thought I had all the answers, Mike, but now everything is falling apart. Sob"
- Mike: "Debbie, I told you Jesus is the only answer. I've been praying and fasting for you."
- Debbie: "Why would you do that for me?"
- Mike: "Because I know what you're involved in. It's a spiritual warfare that you can't win without the Lord Jesus."
- Debbie: "What can I do?"
- Mike: "Come with me to a meeting this afternoon. The speaker came out of witchcraft, and he knows what you're up against."
- Narration: THAT AFTERNOON
- Speaker: "You who are involved in the occult think that you have achieved power. But you have been trapped in a dungeon of bondage. The limited power you have been given is only bait to lure you to destruction. But Jesus came that you might have life and that more abundantly."
- Speaker: "Jesus sets us free from the bondage of witchcraft and gives us victory over all the power of the enemy (Satan).* God's Word declares that you must repent of your sins and turn to Jesus Christ as your Saviour. (Luke 13:5 ). Then according to Acts 19:19 you should gather up all of your occult paraphernalia like your rock music, occult books, charms, Dungeons and Dragons material. Don't throw them away. Burn them! We'll do that here tonight. We will also be praying for the deliverance of those who have allowed occult forces to control them.
- (footnote: * 1 John 4:4 and John 8:36 )
- Speaker: "If you want Jesus as your Lord, come forward now."
- Debbie: (rising from her pew) "Oh, God! I need help... My life's a mess. Help me!"
- Speaker: "In the name of Jesus, I order* you spirits of the occult to leave Debbie."
- Debbie: "Jesus, I repent of my sins and I want you to be my Saviour and Lord. You guide me through Life. You be in charge of everything... not that lousy D&D manual."
- (Spirits are seen leaving Debbie as the Speaker drives them out.)
- Footnote: *WARNING: See Acts 19:13-17
- Footnote: "If the Son therefore shall make ye free, ye shall be free indeed." (John 8:36 ) ...where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." (2 Cor. 3:17 )
- Speaker (praying over a pile of gaming material): "We take authority in the name of Jesus Christ and through the power of His shed blood and bind the demonic forces in this filth of Satan."
- Debbie (bowing her head as the bonfire burns in the background): "Thank you, Lord, for setting me free."
- Footnote: There shall not be found among you anyone...that useth divination...or a witch;...or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard....For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord. Deut. 18:10-12
This section is not yet completed
- Full tract at Chick.com
- Mystery Science Theater meets Dark Dungeons (a parody)
- Chick Dissection - Another analysis of this tract at Enter the Jabberwock
- The Escapist - Dark Dungeons - Another analysis from The Escapist, a roleplaying advocacy website. See also: Spellcasting 101, where Harry Potter and Dungeons & Dragons spells are "scientifically" tested to see if they can really be cast straight out of the books.