Church of Satan
Founded on April 30th, 1966 by Anton Szandor LaVey, the Church of Satan is the first above-ground satanic organization. LaVey felt that it was necessary to form an organization that would counter Christianity and other "white light" religions, while promoting individualism, justice and indulgence. In early years the Church of Satan was the focus of much media attention, curiosity and outrage. International headlines described Satanic weddings, Black Masses and other ceremonies blaspheming Christianity. Later came funerals as well as the baptism of LaVey's own daughter Zeena. In 1969 LaVey wrote The Satanic Bible, which outlined the core philosophy of Modern Satanism.
The Church of Satan does not view Satan as a literal deity that is worshiped, but rather as a symbol or a role model. Satan in Hebrew means “adversary” or “opposer”, and Satanists see themselves as the adversaries of all human spirituality and spiritual religions which deny the self. Satanism begins with atheism which is then built upon by adopting Satanic philosophy. Satanists view themselves as their own gods, and reject any concept of an afterlife. Preferring to spend their time enjoying life rather than wasting it on spiritual pipe dreams, Satanists concentrate on the "here and now". Satanism is a religion focused on the self, and promotes and encourages indulgence in all of the so-called sins as they lead to self-gratification.
Morality in Satanism is based on Lex Talionis, or an eye-for-an-eye type morality, in which the punishment must fit the crime.
The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth
- Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
- Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
- When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
- If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
- Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
- Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
- Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
- Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
- Do not harm little children.
- Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
- When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
The Nine Satanic Statements
- Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence
- Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams
- Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit
- Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates
- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek
- Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires
- Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all
- Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification
- Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years
The Nine Satanic Sins
- Herd Conformity
- Lack of Perspective
- Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
- Counterproductive Pride
- Lack of Aesthetics