Christianity is the largest religion in the world. Its members are split between Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox Christians, although there are literally thousands of denominations within each division, each with their own ideas about how Christianity should manifest itself.
Christianity originated in the first century CE and takes its name from Jesus Christ. Its scripture is the Old Testament and New Testament which together form the Bible. The gospels, which are the accounts of Jesus being incarnated and killed, are largely interpreted based on the writings of Paul the Apostle and the other epistles. Christianity originated as a reformed Judaism, which itself grew out of the earlier religions of the Canaanites, Egyptians and Zoroastrians . It is considered an Abrahamic religion along with Judaism and Islam.
"The central Christian belief is that Christ's death has somehow put us right with God and given us a fresh start. Theories as to how it did this are another matter. [...] We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and the by dying He disabled death itself. That is the formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."
- "There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry. "
Following many schisms, Christianity split into a bewildering array of denominations. The main branches are as follows:
- ↑ Jason M Silverman, Iranian influence on Judaism, October 2011
- ↑ Philip Stater The Great Fundamentalist Hoax, HuffPost, 05/25/2011
- History of the Biblical canon
- Polytheism in Christianity
- Modern Christianity does not fulfill biblical signs
- Selective use of Old Testament law
- Selective use of the New Testament
- Christian victimhood
- Christian attitudes to sexuality
- Christians disagree over everything
- Christianity at a glance on BBC Religion & Ethics
- Christianity on Faith in the Holy Land Series on Israel's Youtube channel
- 10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer
- 40 questions to ask a Christian
- 10 Questions for Christians