Atheists think they know more than everyone else
From Iron Chariots Wiki
This argument claims that atheists are arrogant know-it-alls, who think they know more than everyone else.
- "Yawn. Just another hot-headed atheist who thinks he knows it all. So smug. So pompous. So arrogant. So self-satisfied. So wise in his own eyes. And so deadly wrong. "
- This is a straw man argument. While one can certainly find atheists who do think this, maybe even perhaps more on average than normal, the majority don't. This misconception arises from the fact that when atheists discuss topics, they frequently are citing and relaying what has been discovered and demonstrated by science. In other words, the atheist would think that we, as a human species, know more than these people, such as theists, would like to admit.
- This accusation frequently arises as an ad hominem attack. Instead of addressing the points the atheist made, the accuser uses this as a red herring in the discussion.
- This view is arguably a form of projection, in which people see their own characteristics in others.
- "You can’t argue with religious people. If they think they’re right, they’re right. If non-believers think they’re right, they’re arrogant, which is the most enraging religious viewpoint of all. "