Atheists and agnostics are frequently accused of hypocrisy. Most of the time, these accusations arise due to misconceptions about what an atheist is, and why an atheist does what he or she does. If used to divert criticism, they are examples of ad hominim tu quoque
- "You atheists bash on Christians for having faith, but you have faith too!"
- "You atheists bash on Christians for proselytizing, but you do it too!"
- "Atheists complain about religions so much, but they act just like them."
- "Atheists whine about religions cramming their beliefs down everyone else's throats, but they do it too."
- "You atheists bash on fundamentalism, but you are fundamentalists!"
Like any group of people, a certain percentage of them are going to be hypocrites, and atheists are no exception. The aforementioned strawman arguments are generally invalid for one or more reasons.