Thou shalt not covet
Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
The 10th commandment prohibits coveting of a neighbors property. Property is said to include: house, wive, male slaves, female slaves, oxen, asses, or anything else.
- Wife is listed among property.
- There is no prohibition against coveting a husband. Men and women are viewed unequally.
- Slaves are listed among property.
- Coveting is a thought crime.
- Coveting is the basis of capitalism, as such, would be hard pressed to serve as the basis of United States society (as many apologists claim).